This summer i will be living in Zambia. Why? Good question. It's one I'm still trying to answer myself. Sometimes when we are called into a mission or path that the Lord has called us to we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into. However, that's half of the fun and joy in living our lives for Christ! We don't have to have all of the answers. We don't have to be sure of our next step. We just have to be willing to get out of the boat. This summer I'm getting out of the boat! I'm traveling to serve in Zambia, Africa for almost 3 months. I pray that the Lord will break me. I pray that He will transform my life and draw me near to Him, I pray that lives will be changed in Zambia and I pray that my life brings Him honor and glory. I invite you to follow my journey in Zambia this summer. As i grow in my walk with the Lord, face trials and celebrate in the opportunity that the Lord has given me to serve!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Swept under the rug

Death. In the United States it is a topic that is rarely openly discussed, frightening and a topic swept under the rug. We don't like thinking about our own demise and usually cringe when we hear about the death of another. In Zambia and throughout Africa death is a topic that surfaces daily because it is dealt with daily. A few days ago I had my first true experience of third world health care. Needless to say I was shocked with feelings of distresses and concern for those receiving medical care in Zambia.

The city of Chongwe is located just outside of the capitol, Lusaka. We ventured out to the Chongwe clinic unaware and unprepared for what we were about to discover. This particular clinic was funded by the Zambian government. However, because of corruption this clinic receives very little financial support for needed medical supplies. Many of the Funds are pocketed by government personel before they are received. In turn the clinic has extremely poor equipment supply if any. I couldn't even locate a pair of gloves. In addition to scarce medical supplies is shortage in staff members. I would estimate there were 8 on their "medical staff" with hundreds of patients begging for treatment.

A young child with third degree burns covering her face, neck and arms airway began to close from edema and swelling. No medical staff member even took a second glance. They had no idea that the child would be dead in a matter of hours. This burn patient was lying side by side with a tuberculosis patient coughing sputum into the air. Two beds down from them was a child quickly falling to the fatal demise of malaria. The infant was poked nearly 7 times in attempts to withdraw blood. The child did not cry, whimper or flinch; he was too far gone. The solution to all of these assorted medical problems? An IV of normal saline. Death. It is no alarm to ring here. It is not an avoided topic. The pain and the sorrow that effects the hearts of the loved ones of the deceased is no different than what you or I would experience if someone we loved died. But here, it happens. Often.

By the time lunch rolled around I was in tears. My heart ached and throbbed. It has taken me the past few days to collect these thoughts. I'm still working on a conclusion...

3 comments:

  1. Katie, this is when we have to rely entirely on God. There is no way you or I can deal with this kind of pain and suffering. God must look at the world and all that is going on and shed tears for all of us. That's why He provides us an opportunity to help save some, but no way can we save all. We can only do our best. Give praise for the successes, and thank God for the opportunity to facilitate the successes and to comfort the dying.

    I love you unconditionally, and so does God.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in tears reading this! It takes a very special person to help and minister like you are doing! It is a gift from God and he will give you the strength and courage to do his work! Praying for you and for the children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, your last post has weighed heavy on my heart. I just want you to know I'm praying for you and your co-workers and God's "babies" who are in your care. Those you can't help will be safely in His arms soon. I am so proud of you and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete