This summer i will be living in Zambia. Why? Good question. It's one I'm still trying to answer myself. Sometimes when we are called into a mission or path that the Lord has called us to we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into. However, that's half of the fun and joy in living our lives for Christ! We don't have to have all of the answers. We don't have to be sure of our next step. We just have to be willing to get out of the boat. This summer I'm getting out of the boat! I'm traveling to serve in Zambia, Africa for almost 3 months. I pray that the Lord will break me. I pray that He will transform my life and draw me near to Him, I pray that lives will be changed in Zambia and I pray that my life brings Him honor and glory. I invite you to follow my journey in Zambia this summer. As i grow in my walk with the Lord, face trials and celebrate in the opportunity that the Lord has given me to serve!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Marked.

Marked.
This past week I have been working in Chongwe and out in the bush at the bible college in Kazemba.  I have been pitching in at both places experiencing the life of the “typical” missionary.  My previous notions of a missionary was a compact definition of someone living in a foreign country just loving on people, building relationships with the natives and sharing God’s truth.  I was wrong on several accounts.  For a typical day in the life of a missionary the sun does not set without sweat, backaches and a tired body.  Yes, of course the opportunities are endless to love on the people and build relationships with them (as is true in the United States) but the work here never stops.  I have come to realize that the everyday life here is hard.  If you’re hungry, there is no quick trip to the grocery store.  When you’re doing a very small load of laundry it is done by hand and easily takes up to 3 hours.  When you clean, well, let’s just say it’s never clean.  I have come to greatly appreciate those that are currently serving in the mission field and have a new outlook on the life of a missionary.  The Lord continues to instill the passion for overseas mission in my heart and I cannot wait to see where He will lead me next.
During my “days in the life of a missionary” we traveled to a small orphanage in Lusaka called Won’s Orphanage.  The stories of the children here will captivate your heart; they are too endless and heartbreaking to write out.  The kids at this orphanage range from ages 3-17.  They each wear dirty stained white button up shirts marked orphan on the front pocket.  They are frequently referred to as a group and not individually.  They are a number not a person.  They sleep 12 to a room and own no more than one pair of shoes.  They are parentless.  They are forgotten.  They are trampled on by the world and they are discouraged.  Many of the children are not enabled to act their chronological age due to their inability to afford public school education.  They are outcasts.  They are orphans.
On Wednesday I will be traveling to this orphanage.  Not to stop in as an American bringing gifts and saying “I’m sorry for your situation and I have compassion for you.”  I will be spending a few nights in the orphanage with them!  I’m bringing no material possessions with me to give away.  I have gotten the opportunity to meet with one of the American pastors over here who is teaching a class in counseling.  He has helped me find wonderful scripture versus to share with these children.  You see, they are a person not a number.  They are not orphans, they are adopted.  They are not forgotten.  They are trampled on by the world but they are victorious in the Lord’s eyes.  They are His.  The pastor here helped me prepare for questions they may ask with biblical answers.  I wanted these kids to understand that in Christ they are accepted, they are secure and they are significant! 
John 15:16 “You didn’t choose me.  I chose you…”
1 Cor. 6:20 “…you were bought at a price.”
Eph 1:5 “God decided in advance to adopt us unto his own family by bringing himself through Jesus Christ.  That is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.”
Eph 2:10 “For we are God’s masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Jesus Christ, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”
Romans 8:28 “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose for them.”
I ask that you will be praying diligently and faithfully for these children.  Please pray that they will not only come to know the Lord but that they will find peace, comfort, rest and worth in our King.  I also ask that you pray for my safety.  I will be staying alone with one of the missionary’s daughter’s; she is 19.  I have been encouraged by Joshua 1: 3… “Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you…” and “Be strong and very courageous” – (read the entire text if you have time to understand the context).  I cannot wait for next week to begin!  Thank you all for your love and support.  I am blessed beyond imagination.
Serving passionately for Him,
Katie

4 comments:

  1. This post gave me chills! Love hearing about the seed God is planting in you, and you are planting in those around you! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, you are doing such a good job of painting a word picture of what you see and experience. Certainly the sadness I feel is only soothed by the knowledge that God is in control. The older I get, the more things I cannot control and I must cling to that thought!

    I am thankful that the guidance you have seems to be God driven. May God continue to bless you and those you serve. I will pray for the children, that even in their condition, they will know they are "someone" in God's sight. And I will pray for your safety.

    I love you,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gift you are giving these children and all the people you are working with! There is no greater gift that God's love and acceptance and no better way to give it than to show it! I am so proud of you for letting God lead in your life! I will be praying for the children to "find peace, comport, rest and worth in our King" to have strength and courage AND will be praying the same things for you!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    Hello! We've never met but I'm friends with Kaylyn McCulloch and she told me about your story and it's through her that I donated support toward your trip. You have truly been an encouragement in my life. Reading all about your trip has been awe inspiring and really has impacted my relationship with the Lord. Praise God for your servant's heart! Continue being His hands and feet by humbling submitting yourself to His perfect will. This is an exciting thing that God is doing in and through your life. Be encouraged to know that people whom you don't even know are praying for you on this trip. Be blessed!

    Sergio

    ReplyDelete